A tough talking Director General Francis Wangusi said following a ruling by a full bench of the Supreme Court that migration deadlines remain as set by the regulator that CA will forcibly switch off any media house that fails to comply with the directive.
In Nairobi and major towns, the media houses will have to switch off immediately since the deadlines to migrate had been set for 31 December 2014 and February 2, 2015.
The third phase of the migration will be on 30 March when outlying towns like Garissa, Kapenguria, Kabarnet, Migori, Voi and Namanga will be finally switched off analogue.
Three media houses, Nation (NTV), Royal Media (Citizen TV) and Standard Group (KTN) have been transmitting analogue signals after obtaining temporary orders from the Supreme Court to continue doing so until their case was determined.
Sitting in Nairobi, the Supreme Court issued the ruling that:
(i) That the analogue switch-off timelines remain as scheduled by the Authority
(ii) That the Supreme Court has withdrawn orders earlier issued to allow the three broadcasters to continue broadcasting on the analogue platform
(iii) That the Authority restores the self-provisioning authorization and the requisite frequencies issued to the three media houses
(iv) That the three media houses abide by ALL the conditions that had earlier accompanied the grant of authorization for self-provisioning
(v) That the authority has duly complied with the directives and orders issued by the court on 29th September 2014
Comment was not immediately available from the media houses but notably they did not carry the news of the Supreme Court ruling in the daytime newscasts.
“Let them come we will give them a license they go compete with others,” Wangusi said.